Nowadays, it really doesn't matter what brand name you go for. Choosing a brand is maybe 1/5th emotion and 4/5th practicality. Hence, I started building my gear around Canon
all those years ago because my father owned a Canon camera. Years later Canon continues to provide excellent quality and a huge range of lenses.
That being said I always enjoy reading what other people use, hence this article. My current setup looks like this:
- Canon 5D mark III
- Canon 70D
- Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM
- Canon Extender EF 1.4x III
- Gitzo GT5532S with Manfrotto 501 HDV video head: my main workhorse these days. Super stable!
- Sirui UltraLight T-005X, with C10X ball head. For landscape photography while hiking or travelling light.
- Manfrotto 055XPROB, as backup and for building setups.
- Gitzo GM2541 Monopod for when I need to be flexible.
Don't forget the bag folks! Please don't be stingy here: your valuable equipment deserves a good and safe home. I currently have a Gura Gear Bataflae 26L to encompass my expanding gear. Very lightweight, good padding, durable and loads of space. I have a Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW for more travel oriented trips.
By the way: the above items are all personal and unsponsered recommendations, based on my personal preferences and extensive use. Although… someone should start to sponsor me really! Anyone…? ;)